banner

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sandwich Loaf Bread Recipes on A Year in Bread

Susan's Farmhouse White - A Classic Sandwich Loaf

Welcome new visitors and hello old friends! Just in time for back-to-school, here are links to all the sandwich bread recipes we've posted so far on A Year in Bread. What could be better than sending your kids (or yourself!) off for the day with a lunch that includes a scrumptious sandwich made on homemade bread? We certainly can't think of anything.

But what, you ask, about new recipes, promised recipes, and the fact that nothing whatsoever has been happening around here lately? Well, Beth and I have been dreaming and scheming, plotting and planning - and baking of course! - and should hopefully be back to posting regularly again soon. (I know, I know, you've heard this from us before, but this time we really mean it. I hope.)

In the meantime, why not try some of these breads out and let us know what you think. Don't forget to check the comments section of each post for answers to questions about the recipes and responses from other bakers.

Susan's Farmhouse White (for the quintessential BLT or PBJ)
Beth's Potato Bread (certified kid-friendly)
Kevin's Sour Cream Bread (wonderfully rich)
Beth's Honey wheatBerry Bread (miles above the storebought version)
Susan's Whole Grain Cottage Cheese Bread (good tasting and good for you)
Kevin's Sandwich Rye (hello, Reuben!)

Bored by perfectly shaped slices? These freeform loaves can all make heavenly sandwich fare:
Parisian Daily Baguettes (ready to devour in under 4 hours)
Italian Rosemary Raisin Bread (I love it toasted and topped with sharp cheddar & apricot jam)
Susan's No Knead Italiano Bread (great for grilled cheese)

Still not sandwich satisfied?
Beth says her Onion Cheddar Breadsticks dough makes "absolutely great loaves. Just divide in half and shape into loaves instead of breadsticks." And my Oatmeal Toasting Bread has received rave reviews both on and offline. Have a sweet tooth? Don't miss Beth's Cinnamon Spice Pecan Swirl version.

© Copyright 2008 AYearInBread.com, the bread baking blog where we know that a sandwich makes a meal, and bread makes the sandwich.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Darby said...

Can't wait for you to start "year in Bread" round 2! Well, I guess I can wait, since I've been waiting for awhile. ;)

I'm kind of in a bread rut and can't wait for some new inspiration!

8/16/2008 9:50 PM  
Blogger TNelson said...

So glad to hear you're thinking about "firing up" this blog again. It waits hopefully in my favorites list on "Bloglines" waiting to be updated. I recently linked to it when replying to a request at www.thefreshloaf.com to mention Susan's Farmhouse Bread as our favorite sandwich loaf. I will be waiting in anticipation for your next post.

Trish

8/17/2008 8:04 AM  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Yippee so glad to know you are back soon, missed you!

8/17/2008 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoorah At last ! You have been sadly missed

8/17/2008 2:19 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Hi Susan,
I read your recipes like a favorite novel. I have a big question. I make a multigrain bread with a recipe I brought back from a friend in Yorkshire England. I brought back bags and bags of an English flour called Hovis Granery Flour. http://britishsportshop.com/britishfood.asp?id=ZZ0003
It is a malted flour with grains. When that ran out, I had friends from Canada fly down here to flour carrying bags of a Robin Hood multi-grain flour (not malted and not quite as good)http://www.robinhood.ca/product.details.asp?pid=26&prodcid=9

OK, I am out of imported flours and almost out of courier friends. I tried calling King Arthur Flour and did speak to a nice baker who basically said that no one in the United States is interested in either of these flours so no company produces anything like either of them.
Susan, speak to me about this. I am sad. Is there an alternative for me? I am disabled due to hand neuropathies, but I can still do dough in the breadmaker and then produce a nice loaf in pans in the oven. It is one of the basic joys left to me because of the hand issues. Do you have any suggestions as to how to replicate a malted granery flour?
Thank you for your beautiful blogs,
Dana
PS: I used to be a Boone County MO girl in another lifetime.

8/17/2008 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Count me as another who can't wait for round 2!

8/17/2008 11:20 PM  
Blogger Baked, By Anna said...

Now you're speaking my language! I love reading about your exploits in yeast--and I am all about sandwich breads. Have you ever thought of making A Year in Bread a public monthly blogging event? I'll bet you would have quite the round-up!

8/18/2008 12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Susan ! How funny that you just posted again on this blog. I, too, thought maybe you had given it up. (How you can do all that you do is mind-boggling to me - farming, bread baking, etc. etc. etc. - so we are all thrilled that you are considering round 2 of a "Year in Bread" - love it, and love Farmgirl.

I gave my brother your recipe for Farmhouse White, and he has made it about five times now. It is sooo good - just what a good white bread should be. (One of these days I'm going to try making it myself!)

Looking forward to a whole new "Year in Bread".

8/25/2008 5:31 PM  
Blogger Riana Lagarde said...

my gawd! i want to make all of these!!!

i'll be baking right beside you all year long

8/27/2008 10:51 AM  
Blogger Drew & Erica said...

I'm so glad that you guys are continuing the bread posts. I'm excited to read (and bake) what is to come!

8/31/2008 10:02 PM  
Blogger Susan from Food Blogga said...

Those loaves look like they belong in the window of an elegant bakery. Your kids must love lunch time!

9/01/2008 6:03 PM  
Blogger Homemade Heaven said...

I made your bread yesterday, only I changed it slightly by souring the warm milk with lemon and increasing the oil. This is the perfect bread recipe. I will never use another Going to try it with whole wheat tonight. Thank you so much. I have posted photos of the bread on my blog... love to hear what you think.
I love the baking tin tip, I went straight out and bought one myself - makes all the difference to the appearance. You are a bread magician!

1/20/2009 2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, I've been baking a while and have always used active dry yeast rather than the instant. not sure why, just always have. what are the ramifications of using active dry rather than instant in your recipes? is it just the time involved in rising?

3/02/2009 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home